Fruit Bowl Bet Revisited
(Posted December 31, 2010)

You may recall my story from October 2009 about the fruit bowl wedding gift.  This story describes a bet my grandfather Vernon Ducklow made with his buddy Gideon Arneson circa 1907.  They agreed that whoever married first would buy the other an expensive and ornate fruit bowl – the one they had both admired in a display window of a Spring Valley merchant.  Grandpa won the bet by marrying Mina Bowen in July of 1907. Vern and Mina received the bowl as a wedding gift from Gideon. It has been a family heirloom ever since. Click here to get to my original post.



Left: Fruit bowl wedding gift from Gideon Arneson to Vern and Mina Ducklow. 


Stay with me now as it may seem that I’m going off subject.  I have an interest in artifacts related to Spring Valley from the 1850s to the 1970s, including collecting old post cards.  Earlier this month I won an eBay auction for a used post card from Spring Valley picturing the spoke, stave and heading factory.  This mill had been located just a few hundred yards from my boyhood home, straight east of St. John’s Lutheran Church.  The postmark on the card is May 21, 1909. I thought it was an interesting colorized card that showed an important business in Spring Valley from the early 1900s.  The eBay auction only showed the front of the card, not the reverse.  It really didn't matter to me what was on the back.







Above: Postcard image showing the Spoke, Stave & Heading Mill located in Spring Valley circa 1905.  Note St. John's Church steeple just to the right of the factory's smoke stack.  


When the card arrived  I first viewed the picture on the front and admired how great of shape the card was in being over 100 years old. Then I turned the card over.  I nearly dropped to the ground laughing with surprise when I read whom the card was originally addressed to: Mrs. Gideon Arneson!  Yes, it was sent to the wife of the man who would have won the fruit bowl bet if he had married before Grandpa married Grandma.  How spooky odd is that!?  Do you think it was destiny that this postcard ended up in my collection?

 ❧

Footnotes:



(1) The card is from Mrs. Arneson’s sister, Blanch.  It reads:

Dear Sister –
How you was 
I suppose you remember where you were a year ago today.  I am still trying to settle and fix things up. You had better try to come over Sunday.  I may go to the city next week what can I get for you love to you both, Blanch

(2) I purchased the card from an large volume seller of collectables based in Duluth, MN via Ebay auction.  It’s a mystery of how it may have ended up there.  The card was mailed to Mrs. Gideon Arneson, Martell, Wisc.

No comments: